Hi! I'm Laura Bray and I am so excited to be one of the new Core Design Team members. I can't wait to show you how you can use the Design· Memory· Craft® product line to create beautiful accessories, home decor and art projects. I'm a professional craft designer and my goal is create tutorials that are functional and simple to make. I live in Southern California with my husband and our eleven year old daughter.
Summer is here! Time for vacation! While packing for a beach vacation, one of the hardest things to decide is which purse or bag to pack. I always feel guilty using valuable luggage space for empty purses and bags. This project offers a perfect solution! It's a large 9" x 10" pouch that is big enough to hold sunscreen and other beach essentials, or you can fold it over into a clutch. Add a layered flower felt pin and your bag is now converted into an evening clutch - perfect for a late night dinner.
My summer clutch is super easy to create. You can sew your own bag using your favorite bag tutorial or you can use a plain, canvas purchased clutch. Either one will work. The most beautiful part of this project is the design you will create on the fabric.
- Lay a Mixed Media Stencil over the fabric or the clutch. Be sure the fabric is 100% cotton. Fabric blends cannot be heat set with Gelatos®. Tape stencil in place to keep it from slipping.
- Use Gelatos colors Lemon and Bubble Gum to fill in the stencil areas. I applied the Gelatos directly to the fabric, then used a damp cloth to smooth and blend the colors.
- Once you are happy with the design, carefully remove the stencil and allow the Gelatos to dry for a few hours. To heat set the Gelatos, place a pressing cloth over the fabric and use a hot iron to heat set the design. Once your design has been heat set, it can be washed and the colors won't run.
- If you are sewing your own clutch, be sure to heat set the design before washing.
- Now it's time to embellish the bag! I used a small paint brush to apply Glass Bead Glitter Gel to give some of the petals sparkle and I added Texture Gems™ in Pearl to the top edge of the clutch. I also added a die- cut, felt flower that I embellished with Texture Gems in Pearl. Note: If you use these embellishments, it's best to spot clean them because felt cannot be heat set.
- Mixed Media Stencil Collection: Doodle Stencil Collection (13"x13")
- Gelatos® Colors Set 15 ct - Brights
- Glass Bead Glitter Gel
- Texture Gems™ 3ct. Metallics
- White 100% cotton canvas fabric or a pre-made 100% cotton fabric clutch
- Felt flowers
I hope you will give this stunning project a try! For more sewing and craft projects, be sure to hop over and visit me on my blog too!